Saturday, October 10, 2009

Inauguration Chapeau

Hat Model: Rachel Krukowski

It seems that the link on Ravelry to this free pattern is gone. Here is the pattern for my Inauguration Chapeau. It's free! Perfect for holiday gift giving!

My friend, Beth (ethbay on Ravelry) was watching Barack Obama’s inauguration on TV and spotted many hand-knit and hand-crocheted hats in the crowd. She fixated on one particular hat and was swift enough to snap a digital photo of it. Beth is a new crocheter and asked me if I would help her adapt this particular hat for her own use.

Materials: One skein (about 210 yards) worsted weight yarn. I used Classic Elite “Montera”, Color 3881 (pea green). Of course, any handspun, worsted weight yarn will work. Size “I” and “H” crochet hooks.

Stitches needed:

Double Crochet, Single Crochet, Chain, Slip Stitch.

Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc): Double crochet stitch worked around the post of stitch in the row below. YO, insert hook from the front of the work around the back of the stitch and through to the front of the work again. The post or shaft of the dc from the row below lays across the hook. YO pull up loop, complete same as a dc st. [YO pull through 2 loops, YO pull through last 2 loops on hook].

Hat Instructions:

Chain 6, join to form loop.

Round 1: Chain 3, (this counts as your first dc), then double crochet 11 times into the center loop. You should have 12 stitches. Join.

Round 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), fpdc around next dc. *Dc in the next space, then fpdc around next dc.* Continue around in this manner, fpdc every other stitch. You will have 24 stitches. Join. NOTE: This will be the ONLY round that you dc in a space instead of in the stitch below.

Round 3: Ch 3, dc in same stitch, fpdc 1 (on the post below), *dc twice in next stitch, fpdc on the post below.* Continue around, increasing one stitch between posts. Join. You should have two dc stitches between each post stitch.

Round 4: Ch 3, dc in same stitch, fpdc. Dc twice in next stitch, then once in the next stitch, fpdc on the post below. Continue around, increasing one stitch between posts. Join. You should have three dc stitches between each post stitch.

NOTE: Keep increasing one stitch between posts until your hat is the desired size. For an average woman’s sized hat, there will generally be five or six double crochet stitches between each post stitch. Remember to increase your stitches INTO the stitches below. Once you get to three stitches between posts, you may want to increase in the center stitch between posts, instead of the first dc stitch. Wherever you decide to add your increase stitch, just make sure that it’s done neatly, uniformly and not in a lumpy manner! Join.

Once your hat is the desired circumference, do not increase any further. Continue in pattern until your hat is deep enough, about 4-5 inches. You may want to go down one or two crochet hook sizes (size H or G) at this point, so that your hat will curve down toward your ears. Another option is to decrease one stitch between the post stitches. Keep trying on your hat to see if it’s long enough.

Brim and Side Tie

You will now be crocheting back and forth instead of in the round. Join your yarn at any “post” stitch. Chain 25 stitches. Turn, sc in the second chain from hook. Continue single crocheting the chain you just made, then sc in every stitch around brim of hat until you reach the post stitch closest to the one where you originally joined your yarn. This will leave about 1-2 inches space between the beginning and end of the brim/side tie. Chain 25 stitches. Turn.

Row 2: sc in second chain from hook. Continue single crocheting the chain you just made, then sc in every stitch to the end of the side tie. Turn.

Row 3: Chain 3. The chain 3 counts as your first double crochet. Double crochet to the end of the side tie. Turn.

Row 4: Chain 3, double crochet to end, remembering to double crochet in the top of the beginning ch 3 for your last stitch.

Row 5 and 6: Same as Row 4.

Row 7: Ch 1, single crochet across to end. Tie off. Weave in ends. Block lightly.

To wear this hat, turn up the brim/side-tie and tie in a knot at the side of your hat.

Labels:

38 Comments:

At 12:44 PM PDT, Blogger Brenda said...

I don't crochet (yet!) but this is a seriously pretty hat!

 
At 3:04 PM PDT, Blogger jenna! said...

Now, THAT is a great hat.

 
At 2:02 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

That is a great hat. So now that you're designing I can come to you with my ridiculous requests - like, could you re-do the pattern to accommodate DK weight yarn and, uhm, knitting needles? :)

 
At 6:44 PM PDT, Anonymous Kat said...

found it !!! thanks for posting this pattern here. I had bookmarked the page from another site and it was gone. I am going to print it this time, so I can get to it when I am ready to make this cute hat. Thanks a bunch for sharing your pattern.

 
At 5:52 AM PDT, Anonymous Danielle said...

I love this - I made two of them already, and can easily see this becoming my #1 Christmas gift to give away this year!

Thanks for posting the pattern. :)

 
At 9:56 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you thank you thank you!! can't wait to make it or a few!!

 
At 10:49 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much for making this pattern available - I'm love hats and this one has that 'little extra something special'. Look forward to making it!
handmadebysue

 
At 8:26 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looooove it, Gonna try this one

 
At 7:31 PM PDT, Blogger The3Amigops said...

I really like this hat. I have a silly question... I have been crocheting for many years, taught by both my mom and grandma. Apparently they left out how to block items. lol, How did you block lightly this hat? IF you dont mind. Thanks in advance!

 
At 7:54 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

TO: The3Amigops. The "THEY" you are referring to would be ME. I wrote the pattern. I rarely see instructions on blocking in a pattern. However, I lightly steam- blocked this hat. It's really not necessary to block though. Wearing the hat will stretch it into shape.

 
At 3:19 AM PST, Anonymous saru said...

Thanks for the pattern, I like it very much. I'm going to buy the yarn right now ;). Kis from Spain!!

 
At 6:33 AM PST, Anonymous Amanda said...

i love this hat... i am almost finished with it but i am kind of new to crochet and im having trouble with the end of the hat the tie part... I just need to get it started and then I will be good!! thanks

 
At 5:09 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question. I finished the hat last night and the ties are way to long. I recounted to make sure that I have the 25 and and do. Any ideas of what I did wrong. I did use a little thicker yarn but would that make a difference.

 
At 8:07 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Your gauge could be different than mine, the yarn could be thicker...any number of things could be different. This isn't rocket science. Just adjust your stitches until you like the size of your tie.

 
At 8:13 AM PST, Blogger andi said...

Love this hat. I've made 2 now,thanks for sharing it.

 
At 8:14 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so cute I'm making it now :) i just starting getting into post stithies and this is my first project with them

 
At 7:15 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am experiencing mind-block. I have crocheted my ties. I am ready to start the double-crochets, but I do not understand how it will work.Do I turn at the end of the second tie and start double crochets until rounds are completed on that tie, fasten off and the join yarn to other tie and do the same? Or do I go around the hat until I reach the other tie, or is it something else? I have read all comments, and know it is likely something simple that I am over-thinking.

 
At 10:05 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Anonymous. 10/11/12 For the side-ties, your second answer is corroect, you crochet around the hat until you reach the other tie. Keep crocheting back and forth until your side ties are deep enough, fasten off. You do not have to crochet the side ties separately. The "body" of these ties will form the turned up brim of the hat. Good luck!

 
At 9:58 PM PDT, Blogger susin said...

i was wondering if there were pics of row 3 and 4...i dont think i am doing it right and would like to see if i am understanding the pattern...:-(

 
At 2:38 PM PST, Blogger Melinda said...

Just to make sure I read it right, do you reduce your hook size before you stitch the 4-5" to cover down to your ears or after? I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. I'm doing it in Robin's egg blue so I'll post a link to my blog when I'm done!

 
At 8:11 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

After making one of these hats I changed the pattern just a bit. I shortened the ties by using a chain of 20. After I reached 5 dc between each post, I added another post between each post by fpdc around the middle stitch. This gave the hat a shape right from the start and I continued with this row until the hat was deep enough. On the ties, I chained 20 then joined the chain at a post, slip stitched in each stitch until the next post, chained 20, turned and sc in each chain stitch continuing onto the hat and then into each chain stitch of the other tie. Then dc for 2 rows around the hat and ties and finishing with a row of sc around the hat and ties.

 
At 8:50 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the input, Robin. Yes, my pattern is merely a jumping-off point for your own interpretation of the pattern. Glad you could be inspired!

 
At 12:26 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:53 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

"You will now be crocheting back and forth instead of in the round for the end ties. This will leave about 1-2 inches space between the beginning and end of the brim/side tie."

 
At 6:07 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:04 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

How many stitches will you have after round three? I had a ton and it was all wavy, is that normal? Love this!

 
At 10:24 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Laura, This pattern is more of a recipe than an exact pattern. If you find that you have too many stitches after round three, go back and remove some stitches. Do whatever works for your head-size, yarn and hook! Good luck!

Ellen B.

 
At 5:05 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ellen, A friend was bringing her 90 year old mother to my Holiday get-together last evening. I wanted to make this lovely, vital mother something easy and special. I found a ball of purple yarn, sat down while the roast was cooking and whipped up your hat pattern in 45 minutes. She absolutely loved it, said it reminded her of the flapper hats in the 30's. It is a beautiful and easy design and with the side tie it turns into something quite dramatic. I will be looking for more of your pattern interpretations. Blessings for the new year, Rev Billie

 
At 7:01 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Dear Reverend Billie,
I'm so glad that my pattern could bring memories and cheer into your friend's evening. Best wishes for a happy and healthy holiday season to you and yours.

Ellen B.

 
At 8:38 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,

I crocheted this hat in 2011 with a matching Jabot.

I still have it. I love it. Am going to make several more.

I had lost the pattern. Thank you so much!

 
At 6:14 PM PDT, Blogger Craftylady5 said...

Love this hat. How do I print the pattern

 
At 8:04 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

To Craftylady5. You'll have to copy and paste the instructions into a Word document. Check with a computer tech on how to do this.

 
At 12:16 AM PST, Blogger PurpleSparklePony said...

CraftLady5,

You may have left that comment years ago but a reply now might still be useful.

Ctrl-P is the usual shortcut to print almost anything, from almost any programme. Copying & pasting into a Word document isn't necessary.

Additionally, you will probably only want to print the first three pages, after that you're just printing comments. Guess which mistake I just made? :)

Kind regards,
Lesley.

 
At 11:05 AM PST, Blogger Lisa A said...

I absolutely love this hat ! I made one for myself, my sister saw it and asked for one, she wore hers to work and her boss wanted one and now my mom has requested one for Christmas! Even my teen daughter wears my hat and I guess I need to make one for her too ! Thank you so very much for this pattern !

 
At 11:22 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for keeping this pattern alive, Lisa! Merry Christmas

 
At 5:50 AM PDT, Blogger Mike and Julie said...

I'm so glad to have found this pattern again! I made it several years ago, but in a color that no longer fits in. WHenever I wear it, I get asked about it. Thank you for posting it!!

 
At 7:52 PM PDT, Blogger Jackie Edkins said...

absolutely love this hat, but I don't crochet, hurts my hands and cramps my fingers. Please tell me if it is available to knit.

Thanks

 
At 11:24 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

I love love love this hat, I get lots of compliments, Thank you for sharing your pattern. X

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery